[OSM-talk] Deleting way from a relation

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Fri Jan 23 21:52:51 GMT 2009

> I am unable to remove way http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4596756
>
> from the relation http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/21359
>
> I am thus also unable to delete way 4596756 which is overlapping
> another way also beeing part of the relation.
>
> I am using JOSM and get en error when I try to upload the relation
> after having taken way out of the relation.
> I can see that this relation has more than thousand ways, and I think
> this could be the problem.
>
> I have seen in other threads that large relations should be broken up
> and nested, but how can this be done
> when I am simply unable to remove ways from the relation.
>
> I would think that it might be natural to break the relation (which is
> highway E20 from UK to somwhere in the Baltics)
> could pe seperated into sub relations for each country that is passes.

I've gone and done it.

In JOSM it gave a 412 Precondition Failed response - and didn't delete the
way from the relation. So I opened Potlatch and it deleted it without any
problem.

I've deleted the duplicate ways - I hope that was what you wanted to do.
Presumably if there are duplicate ways everywhere (and I found 11 duplicates
on top of each other in the UK where the route relation E20 had been
created) - then this relation can be slimmed down anyway just by removing
excess ways.

Richard