[OSM-talk] mapping driveways

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jan 25 00:45:40 GMT 2009

Sorry if this is on the wiki - I've tried to read the relevant parts.

I live in a semi-rural area where there are a lot of long driveways.
Some of these show up on the map, mostly due to MassGIS bulk imports.

For commercial places, and other places where the public might go, I've
set a few to these to service.  An example is the access road to
Minuteman Airfield in Stow, MA, USA:

  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.46068&lon=-71.51526&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF

But there are some that seem to be just some person's house, probably in
the databsae because it showed up on the aerial photo, and some that
just seem a bit goofy.  An example is the unnamed way going SSE from
Crescent St.:

  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.43777&lon=-71.5016&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF

Should I just remove these ways?  They seem like clutter and not useful.
The USGS topo maps show very thin lines for driveways, so it's clear
they aren't real roads.  Calling them service doesn't seem right.

So my real question boils down to: when there is an area perhaps 100m
long and 3m wide paved to get to a single house, should that be
represented, and how?  How do we do this so it's clearly rendered
differently than a proper road.