[OSM-talk] mapping driveways

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:15:07 GMT 2009

I agree with Matthias in general (except to suggest that the usage is British English as well). However, I would also suggest that the word 'driveway' is sometimes used for a much longer paved way used by vehicles for access to a property or amenity - in which case mapping would seem sensible. All a matter of judgement and common sense. I would map the 1 km driveway to a remote farmhouse but not the few metres to my own garage!

A final complication is that there is an additional American-English usage in which the word is used to describe a scenic route - in which case it would IMHO call for a route relation.

As for individual trees - I wouldn't, unless of special historic interest and perhaps named - like the "Major Oak" in the Sherwood Forest under which Robin Hood is said to have sheltered with his merry men (and Maid Marian - or should that be "made" (;>)).

Same with houses - I would not normally record individual properties in a built-up residential area but would often try to record isolated named properties that act as a landmark in a  rural area.

This is only what I do - it may be wrong as I am relatively new here - so tell me, please, and I will amend my wicked ways!

Mike Harris