[OSM-talk] Tagging Cycle Infrastructure in US

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 10:05:22 GMT 2009

2009/1/27 Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>:

> On 27 Jan 2009, at 21:45, Brandon Aguirre wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm tagging cycle infrastructure with the lcn_ref tag but need advice
>> since it was developed for Europe where they designate routes
>> numerically like a highway system. What do you suggest I put as the
>> lcn_ref for various cycle inf. (I put yes as a placeholder but it
>> looks so lame) I have the regional bike map and the gov. hasn't
>> numbered or named them in any way. Should specify the type of
>> infrastructure?
>> i.e.
>> lcn_ref= bike lane or
>> lcn_ref= bike boulevard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Bicycle_Boulevards)
>>

> Just use lcn=yes for local unnumbered/unnamed routes; rcn for regional
> and ncn for national. There are some routes that are simply unnumbered/
> unnamed.

If it's just infrastructure then you can also use the cycleway tag.
cycleway=lane for a road with cycle lane.
Links to some other tags are here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle

>> Also, has anyone tagged a bike box? (http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSPORTATION/index.cfm?c=46717
>> )
>
> That is what we bits call a cycle advance stop. I've not seen anyone
> tag this yet, though I do know of one

One Shaun?! They're on about half of the traffic lights in London!

I haven't been tagging them, mostly because they're so ubiquitous
around this way, they're frequently ignored anyway, and also because I
haven't been tagging traffic lights either. I'd suggest something
along the lines of an extra tag on the traffic lights.

Dave