[OSM-talk] Tagging Cycle Infrastructure in US

Gregory Williams gregory.williams at purplegeodesoftware.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 15:01:30 GMT 2009

> >> Also, has anyone tagged a bike box?
> (http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSPORTATION/index.cfm?c=46717
> >> )
> >
> > That is what we bits call a cycle advance stop. I've not seen anyone
> > tag this yet, though I do know of one
> >

> One Shaun?! They're on about half of the traffic lights in London!
>
> I haven't been tagging them, mostly because they're so ubiquitous
> around this way, they're frequently ignored anyway, and also because I
> haven't been tagging traffic lights either. I'd suggest something
> along the lines of an extra tag on the traffic lights.

That assumes that there's an advanced stop line on every approach to the
traffic lights. I know of several near to me where only some approaches
are afforded ASLs. I've been thinking that there are two possible ways
to tag this:
(1) Use a relation containing the junction node and the approaching way.
Renderers could render a standard length of ASL, but this would be
artificially generated.
(2) Split the way at the back boundary of the ASL's box and apply an
extra tag for the way that forms the entire length of the box.

Out of the two I'd prefer (1).

Gregory