[OSM-talk] Abandon voting (was Wiki: chriscf vandalism)

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Jan 31 15:40:34 GMT 2009

Jonathan Bennett schrieb:
> A good system for reaching consensus is based on discussion, not mere
> voting.

I agree. However, our system _is_ mostly based on discussion. The
propsal + RFC process serves this very purpose: Present ideas, discuss
them and improve them based on discussion.

The "vote" isn't really a vote, because it doesn't decide anything. No
one is forced to use an "approved" feature when mapping or writing
software, no one is prevented from using a "rejected" feature.

So I don't think we need to abandon "voting". Probably we should just
relabel that to "poll" or something and make clear that it isn't binding
in any way. It's merely a quick indicator whether consensus has been
reached and a way of getting some more discussion started.

Tobias Knerr