[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:39:52 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> Disagree strongly - it depends entirely where you're mapping. I doubt I've
> ever come across anywhere where smoothness= might be relevant while mapping
> Burton-on-Trent (well, maybe one road which the flipping Gas Board keeps
> digging up), a large urban area.

I did some mapping in the Gambia in early January (not much of it in OSM
yet, and deleting my GPS log was not a good idea). Here smoothness= could
make quiet a lot of sense, as the "smoothness" of the road pretty much
decided what kind of vehicle you had to hire and what route to follow. Of
course, if you did bring a mechanic, that did influense the decision.

This is not to say that I support the tag, as my vote indicates, but
something similar can be useful.

> But around here in rural Charlbury, that kind of information is absolutely
> crucial when mapping bridleways. As someone on the wiki pointed out,
> though,
> the smoothness tag as currently conceived is near as dammit useless for
> these because it offers no chance for differentiating between winter and
> summer.

Or dry/wet season for that matter.

 - Gustav