[OSM-talk] The future of bugs in OSM

Jonas Krückel osm at jonas-krueckel.de
Thu Jul 2 15:36:05 BST 2009

Christoph Boehme schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Nic Roets wrote:
>>
>>> And if the user indicates that he just wants to add a PoI, redirect him to
>>> http://ae.osmsurround.org/ so that he can add it directly to the database.
>>>
>> That's the point I was trying to make - do not hog all the bugs in one
>> central place and allow users to do only what you have coded; instead
>> open this up so that anybody can hook their app into the user interface
>> to offer functionality.
>>

> I don't quite understand how http://ae.osmsurround.org/ fits into the
> bug-tracker idea. The amenity editor is an osm data editor that works
> directly on the osm database. It does not create a special type of
> amentiy bugs that need to be distributed.
>
> I could see that it makes sense to be able to add bugs to the map while
> editing amenities but this is functionality which can easily be done
> with the current osb.

I think the idea is, if you have a bug saying POI=xy missing, than the
bugwebsite (it must not be bugs.osm.org) could provide you a link to the
amenity editor for fixing it directly.
Personally I think we should try to make a good API with a database
behind it and should try to have the different functionalities made by
different client-developers (i would say you can compare this with
twitter, the original webinterface doesn't provide very much options,
but with the api we see a lot of cool twitterclients adding all kind of
functionalities and they also integrate with other services (facebook
etc., in our case this would be JOSM..) very often.
Of course we should also add a bug-tab to the website then, but the API
and the database is the most important thing.

Jonas