[OSM-talk] Species names

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Jul 9 11:09:29 BST 2009

Marc Schütz <schuetzm <at> gmx.net> writes:

>No real opinion on the question whether to use the scientific names or not, but
>if you do, please do _not_ use name:la for that purpose, because this would be
>how the ancient romans (or the speakers of Modern Latin) call the animals.

Agreed - and more to the point, an animal's species is not its name!  I do not
answer to the name of 'homo sapiens' and neither do you.

  name:la=Rex
  species=Canis lupus familiaris

I don't expect it will be common to add individual dogs to OSM, except perhaps
in this case: <http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1267477.ece>

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>