[OSM-talk] Species names

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Jul 9 10:29:36 BST 2009

Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:42:25PM +0100, Jack Stringer wrote:
> > My rule of thumb would of be label it in english rather that local name.
> > But that's because I am english. Using latin would put some people off
> > from tagging Zoos.
>
> But precise latin specie name is a universal identifier (rather than
> a „human readable” name), which can be easily translated to local names
> by automated means. For some species, I guess, there will be no English
> name, but there may be a local name.  And Latin name will always be
> defined.

If we're tagging zoo enclosures, then the name= tag represents the name of
the enclosure (in the local language), rather than the name of the animals
within it.

This is an important distinction, as zoo enclosures often have their own
special names, like 'Gorilla Kingdom' and 'Giants of the Galapagos' (London
Zoo [1]) or 'Elephants of the Asian Forest' and 'Realm of the Red Ape'
(Chester Zoo [2]).

Looking at the existing well-tagged zoos (which all seem to be in Germany),
there seem to be a few examples (eg Leipzig Zoo) of attraction=animal and
animal=*.  There's also amenity=vivarium, which I had to look up in a
dictionary (and which isn't yet documented on the wiki).

I'm not sure what we do where there are multiple types of animal in one
enclosure - the preferred approach seems to be semi-colon separated?

I'm going to visit Chester Zoo next week, so if we can work this out, I'll
try and do some mapping whilst I'm there... :-)

Frankie

[1] http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/exhibits/
[2] http://www.chesterzoo.org/Visit/GettingAround/Zoo%20Map.aspx

--