[OSM-talk] keep right! and landuse=wood

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jul 20 14:10:19 BST 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:55:54 +0100, "Ed Loach" <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
> Surely logically the options are
>
>> landuse=forest -> large area of actively managed trees,
>> landuse=wood -> small area of actively managed trees,
>> natural=wood -> small area containing naturally occurring trees
>> natural=forest -> large area containing naturally occurring trees

I'd second this, it's how I've interpreted the wiki instructions.

Of course, determining whether your average bit of woodland in the UK is
landuse or natural is fun, given that pretty much all of it has been
carefully managed at soem stage over the past few hundred years! Why do we
care if it's mananged, and if it's a forest or wood? Knowing that would
help guide which tags to use, otherwise I'm tempted to just mark everything
as natural=wood and be done with it!

Some examples to indicate when you go from natural to landuse, and from
wood to forest, would help.

Regards,
Tom