[OSM-talk] keep right! and landuse=wood

Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Jul 20 15:21:25 BST 2009

Ed Loach wrote:
> Widespread use might not accurately reflect overall usage. For
> example I've just checked the local area for changes made by Xybot
> using ITO Mapper and it found this one:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/26568786/history

I think that it's worth mentioning that (based on a discussion on this
list) the Xybot author has said that it doesn't do this any more.

Some time (earlier this year I think) I complained (I think) that, among
some other changes, a local landuse=wood (not mapped by me) had been
changed to landuse=forest, when (a) landuse=wood is not "illegal" and
(b) natural=wood was at the time also in the wiki.  Since then
landuse=wood has been added to the wiki as well.  FWIW I did visit the
trees in question and although it was originally a "wood" there's now
some serious forestry operations going on there, so actually either
would be about equally as valid.

Your example was from 2008, which predates all of this.  The number of
"landuse=wood" combinations will be lower because of historical changes
such as yours, but it won't be getting reset to zero every so often.