[OSM-talk] keep right! and landuse=wood

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 17:43:22 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM, John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/cricketbatwillow/825730972/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sequella/425687849/in/photostream/
>
> Ummm is it just me or do they both look like plantations used for logging?
>
> The only difference seems to be the age of the trees and/or type of tree.

The first picture is part of a willow plantation in Australia, especially
managed to make good materials for cricket bats. It is unlikely that willow
would grow in this spot, and at least in such neat rows, if it had not been
for this plantation.

The second picture is from a pine forest in Finland, with some spruce and
birch. From the picture it is hard to tell if they are planted or not, but
pine would certainly be growing there even if they are not planted. Some
forestry activites, like thinning, are probably done every 10-20 years and
the trees will some day be harvested.

I would not say that the second picture is of a plantation.

 - Gustav