[OSM-talk] Duplicate place=city capital=yes and other place nodes

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:59:22 BST 2009

2009/7/25 Yann Coupin <yann at coupin.net>:
>  From what I understand when I patched the source to allow the Corine
> Land Cover huge import sometimes ago, bulk_upload does what it's told.
> That is if you feed it a standard OSM file, it add the features. If

If you feed it a standard OSM file it will do the same thing as JOSM
does, i.e. add/modify/remove features as indicated by the action=
property.

> you want to add/change/delete, you have to use the changeset syntax
> which enclose data in blocks that explicitely tell if you want to add/
> update/delete the features in that block.

Possibly the patched version but the one that was and still is in SVN
will completely screw up when given a changeset.

I recommend (shameless plug)
http://www.openstreetmap.pl/balrog/bulkupload/ for changeset uploads.

I also recommend reverting this kinds of failed uploads as soon as you
notice it, so as not to add manual work for people (I noticed on a lot
of the duplicate country nodes people have been making changes to the
tags not noticing they were only editing one of the six identical
copies and then wondering why their changes had no effect and risking
doing work somebody else already did on a different copy).  The
changesets such as those adding name:ar= for country nodes are really
trivial to revert if noticed in time, not requiring the fancy scripts.

Cheers