[OSM-talk] Best-practice-idea traffic_sign

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:56:45 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:36 AM, <marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It has been discussed at length before. Please consult the archive
> first.

Did you check yourself the archive before submitting this comment ? I
did and the only mention I found (searching "traffic_sign") was inside
another thread called "Rights of way (was: Vote: highway=path)" which
is not exactly the subject here. Perhaps it was discussed on the
talk-de ML...

> Exactly.
>
> I haven't been involved in the discussion, I don't use it myself, and I find
> it strange to talk about a "best-practice idea" (because best practice comes
> from practice, not from ideas). Nevertheless, if there are people who think
> this is good and works for them - let them use it.

Nice when people have ideas. The problem is that it is not publicly
discussed or, at least, not on the main mailing list and the idea
becomes "a core recommended feature" when it is moving to the Map
Features (which is what is said on the top of the page).

My main concerns about this tag is not the city_limit but
- the country-code set into the value and not anymore on the key like
the tag "name"
- and the trend to use this tag to replace the restrictions set on the
ways (see the discussions on Talk:Key:traffic sign and Talk:Proposed
features/Traffic sign.)

Also the wiki pages are not cleaned-up. We have now the main page
saying "please submit your comments on Talk:Proposed features/Traffic
sign.

Either we keep this tag as a proposal and remove the official wiki
page "Key:traffic sign" or we adopt the tag, remove the "Proposed
features/Traffic sign" and discuss on "Talk:Key:traffic sign" but
please, stop juggle with a tag being "approved" and "proposed" at the
same time on the wiki !

Pieren