[OSM-talk] Something Might be Broken

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:09:06 BST 2009

> I don't know what the Osmarender update speed is or how to mark
> tiles as
> dirty or find out when they were rendered, so I am unsure if
> Osmarender
> tiles can be directly compared.

osmarender doesn't work currently for large areas defined by relation
boundaries
there is a lonly white tile
http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/?layer=tile&z=12&x=729&y=1638

you can mark them as dirty on the above page or more convenient in
zoom12 at http://www.informationfreeway.org/

> Any help is greatly appreciated, otherwise I am losing confidence.
>
> Andy
>

> If the boundary is a relation, that may be the reason. (Since you
> said it has 23573 nodes, then it must be a boundary relation.)
> AFAIK, Mapnik (or more properly, osm2pgsql) currently doesn't
> process relations for diffs. You'll have to wait until the planet
> reload after next Wed to see the border update.

can't confirm this. I am doing some corrections on large parks. made
an update of a relation and added one more. no changes on any node.
ties are marked as rerendered within < 10min but the update of the
area tag didn't change. Neither for the area with a relation nor the
area with a polygon and an area tag
It varies also widely in different zoom levels.

some observations so far
status is updated earlier than the tiles. guess there is a lag until
the tiles is available on all tile caches. I give it some time after a
dirty request and reload .png to clean it from the local browser cache
even after weeks it's not rendered. some tiles are new others aren't
for the exact same polygon

an example is here, same relation one tile is rendered today with new
pattern one still has the old pattern.
both are reported clean only relation was updated not way or node
changes
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/16/10469/25279.png
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/16/10469/25280.png

zoom level >  16 are rendered