[OSM-talk] Something Might be Broken

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Jul 31 06:41:10 BST 2009

On 31 Jul 2009, at 04:41, Karl Newman wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com>
> wrote:
> Take a look at this boundary where a forest and national park meet:
>
>   http://osm.org/go/TwUljNo--
>
> Notice that the boundaries don't line up. This is because the national
> park is in slightly the wrong place. The national park is this
> changeset
> uploaded yesterday:
>
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1980439
>
> Today I moved the national park into the correct position. The
> changeset
> was closed at 31 Jul 00:09:
>
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1989864
>
> I then marked the tile you are looking at as dirty. It was apparently
> rendered by Mapnik on 31 Jul 03:21:
>
>   http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/12/772/1608.png/status
>
> As you can see the data from my new changeset has not been used.
>
> On 31 Jul 01:33 I added a new changeset with some trails:
>
>   http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1990063
>
> This was rendered with trails at 31 Jul 03:13:
>
>   http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/13/1567/3318.png/status
>
> If data I uploaded at 01:33 was rendered at 3:13, how come data I
> uploaded at 00:09 has not been rendered at the time of writing this?
> (03:21)?
>
> One clue might be that the trails are new data but the movement of
> nodes
> was not. Also JOSM gave me an error of "unexpected end of file" when
> the
> changeset was closing, but the changeset is listed in my edits as
> being
> closed anyway. It also has all 23573 nodes.
>
> I have cleared my browser cache and tried two browsers.
>
> I have two other examples of different data/changesets that I just
> cannot get Mapnik to render it. In both cases some of the data is
> rendered. One of those I've asked for help on here and the Mapnik list
> with no solution. I've tried everything I can think of.
>
> I don't know what the Osmarender update speed is or how to mark
> tiles as
> dirty or find out when they were rendered, so I am unsure if
> Osmarender
> tiles can be directly compared.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, otherwise I am losing confidence.
>
> Andy
>

> If the boundary is a relation, that may be the reason. (Since you
> said it has 23573 nodes, then it must be a boundary relation.)
> AFAIK, Mapnik (or more properly, osm2pgsql) currently doesn't
> process relations for diffs. You'll have to wait until the planet
> reload after next Wed to see the border update.

Wrong, osm2pgsql does process relations properly. If they aren't then
Jon Burgess is happy to take a look to see if he can fix the problem
with osm2pgsql. Second there has been no planet reload for a few weeks
now.

As http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1989864 is such a
large changeset, what has probably happened is that it took so long to
process that it missed the minute diffs, thus didn't get into any
downstream services that use the minute diffs. This is a problem that
is known and work is in progress to change the way that the minute
diffs are generated so that you don't get this problem any more. How
long did it take to process the upload?

Don't worry the data is saved in the main OSM database.

Shaun