[OSM-talk] definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:15:17 BST 2009

2009/7/31 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>:
> Sometimes it's physical, sometimes administrative. Generally it's
> administrative where that is clearly defined (ie the higher road classes in
> developed countries), and more physical when it isn't.
>
> So saying either is correct wouldn't be entirely true.

actually my point was neither administrative nor physical but
according to the importance. Both, administrative and physical we are
already tagging with specific tags, so why should we double them?

The only class that is derived from administrative criteria in Germany
and Italy is motorroad. In Italy there is also a discussion about
trunks, but the rest (from primary on) is tagged independantly from
who cares for the maintenance (administrative class).

cheers,
Martin