[OSM-talk] Potlatch and sketching from aerial imagery

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jun 1 23:47:06 BST 2009

Joe Richards wrote:
> If that is the case, why does Potlatch not offer highway=road
> as one of its presents, under the little car icon?

Because I don't really keep up with the ever-changing tagging discussions -
life's too short. Anyone with svn access can augment the Potlatch
preset/autocomplete files, they're all in easy-to-understand text:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/config/potlatch/

I do however reserve the right, should you add smoothness=very_horrible, to
remove it again, and additionally to come round to your house and kill you.

FWIW I personally think highway=road is not generally of much use in 90% of
cases. Whether you're tracing from Yahoo or NPE or whatever, you can very
often work out what highway value the road should have. Certainly, if it
were to be added to the preset menu, it'd need to be with a very clear
description of what it's intended for - "road, unsure of type" or something
like that.

cheers
Richard