[OSM-talk] Castles and Palaces

Ekkehart at gmx.de Ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 14:55:00 BST 2009

Hi!

> > In my opinion it is just the same for castles. You see the tag
> > catle_type=defensive and you know that it is a Burg in Germany and a
> keep in
> > Britain. There is no need to use Burg, hrad, linna, Chateau, zamek etc.
> with
> > roughly the same meaning.
>
> well, the confusion just begins to start ;-) A keep is not
> corrispondent to a burg, it is corispondent to a donjon, maybe to a
> "bergfried" in German. A keep is part of a castle, not the whole. If
> you continue to say, that burg and chateau (=schloss) has roughly the
> same meaning, you're still proofing that you should stick to
> historic=castle and let others do the castle_type.

Two terms were not well placed as I was writing from memory. But the use of the term keep is irrelevant for the discussion as it does not appear in the proposed tagging.

Corrected sentence from above: There is no need to use Burg, hrad, linna, Chateau fort, zamek etc. with roughly the same meaning when you can describe all of them adequeately as a castle with defensive character.

bye
     Nop