[OSM-talk] Castles and Palaces

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:04:19 BST 2009

2009/6/5  <Ekkehart at gmx.de>:

>> you're still proofing that you should stick to
>> historic=castle and let others do the castle_type.

> Two terms were not well placed as I was writing from memory. But the use of the term keep is irrelevant for the discussion as it does not appear in the proposed tagging.

see above ;-)

> Corrected sentence from above: There is no need to use Burg, hrad, linna, Chateau fort, zamek etc. with roughly the same meaning when you can describe all of them adequeately as a castle with defensive character.

that's why there is one single suggestion for them:
"castle_type=burg", which is an established term for defensive castles
from the middleages (11th-16th century) that can be found throughout
central europe and that follow a certain typology. This term is
already in use and has 74 occurances in tagwatch.

Martin