[OSM-talk] searching for a lost example of routing

Hillsman, Edward hillsman at cutr.usf.edu
Sat Jun 6 17:31:50 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on the list can help me track down an example I saw
sometime in the past 5-6 weeks, probably not in a post to this list, but
possibly something I found on the web while exploring from someone's
post to the list. The example involved a group, probably in central
Europe, who had put together a demonstration of inter-railway routing
using data from OSM. I think the example was a trip from somewhere on
the Baltic to somewhere on the Mediterranean. I thought I had bookmarked
the website, but I can't find it. I'd like to refer to it as an example
in a briefing I will be participating in this Monday. One of my
colleagues and I are proposing a project to look at the feasibility of
taking data on public transportation systems in the US, uploading it
into OSM from the Google Transit Feed Specification format into which
many of them now use, and building true intermodal routing (riding or
walking to bus stops, using real sidewalk and bike path data, rather
than assuming it exists as Google now does. We plan to include the
University of Maryland pedestrian routing application as one example,
but if I am recalling the rail interline routing example correctly, that
would also be something useful to include. Any other suggestions of
working prototypes would also be welcome (I am aware of the
OpenStreetRoute application).

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ed

Edward L. Hillsman, Ph.D.

Senior Research Associate

Center for Urban Transportation Research

University of South Florida

4202 Fowler Ave., CUT100

Tampa, FL  33620-5375

813-974-2977 (tel)