[OSM-talk] Bicycle boulevards

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 10 12:33:03 BST 2009

Hi,

Mario Salvini wrote:
> Even in germany on these roads there are no additional rights-of-way in
> comparison to "normal" cycleways (except that bicycles get the
> officially allowance to drive next to each other and not just inline.
> buts that's piece of cake ;) ). A normal cycleway with
> motorcar/agricultural/...=yes/destination/... would be exactly the same.

We're getting very much into national detail here but just to give an
example, look at this aerial image (which is 100 metres from my office BTW):

http://maps.google.de/maps?ll=49.007912,8.378746&spn=0.000729,0.001026&t=h&z=20

The road going east-west is a former residential road with different
lanes for each direction of travel, plus diagonal parking spaces in the
middle. It is over 20 metres wide. This road has now been designated a
"Fahrradstrasse" (cycle road). Motorized traffic is still allowed at
"adequate speeds" (whatever that means).

While I am not a big fan of endless tagging discussions, tagging the
road above as "highway=cycleway, car=yes" strikes me as grossly misleading.

Maybe it should simply retain highway=residential. After all, the
"residentialness" of the road has not changed one bit since it was
designated a cycle road.

Bye
Frederik