[OSM-talk] Bicycle boulevards

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jun 11 02:11:02 BST 2009

Richard Mann wrote:
> I think "designation" is about the legal status of a way, particularly
> where that might not be obvious from, or in conflict with the physical
> characteristics of the way.
>
> On physical characteristics, you can get a fair way with
> highway=residential + maxspeed=(say)30. There wouldn't be too many
> people misled by that.

Except in parts of the world where maxspeed=30 is true for all
highway=residential unless otherwise posted (most of Metro Vancouver, BC).

> Maybe add motorcar=destination to emphasise the
> point for routers. We have a tag for special features for cyclists, so
> I'd use that to be a bit more precise: cycleway=cyclestreet.

cycleway=cycleroad wouldn't be a bad option, this would give more
flexibility if larger ways do become bicycle boulevards, as well as
incorporate more major ways that are, in essence, bicycle boulevards
(such as the Hawthorne Bridge and it's double bicycle lane on the
Madison approach).

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/madisonbikelane.jpg

(By the way, if you live in this area, take a look at the picture:  Most
of these cyclists are doing the right thing, two need to pick a freaking
lane!)

> Is that precise enough - probably. Only a complete absolutist would want
> to add a designation tag to emphasise that this really is a bona fide
> properly-signposted official got-the-tshirt Fahrradstrasse. In which
> case add designation=official (or designation=cyclestreet, if that's a
> locally-agreed value)

designation seems redundant when we have highway= for that purpose...