[OSM-talk] Bicycle boulevards

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 11 04:00:12 BST 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 15:55:10 Richard Mann wrote:
> I think "designation" is about the legal status of a way, particularly
> where that might not be obvious from, or in conflict with the physical
> characteristics of the way.
<snip>
> We have a tag for special features for cyclists, so I'd use that
> to be a bit more precise: cycleway=cyclestreet.

This would actually be a very good idea for the Netherlands.

I know one (well two parallel ones) Dutch cyclestreets that is (are)
signposted with a zone sign that actually makes it a:
highway=cycleway
maxspeed=30
motor_vehicle=yes
It goes from Tilburg to Goirle (and back). This signage actually gives it a
special legal status.

But all other cyclestreets I know of in the Netherlands are signposted with
signs that have no legal status at all. Using designation=cyclestreet there
would not be appropriate. Using highway=residential or unclassified plus
cycleway=cyclestreet sounds like a very good idea for them.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus