[OSM-talk] How to tag an archway ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:43:17 BST 2009

2009/6/13 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> someone on the french list asked how we could tag an "archway" ?
> Something like this:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Place_des_Vosges_archway.jpg
> I didn't find anything on the wiki or tagwatch. Maybe it's even
> questionable to have a special tag since it is either a normal
> extension of a pedestrian place or a normal sidewalk but under a
> building.
> Thanks for you advices.

IMHO it could be tagged as footway and for the particular construction
you could use a more specific tag (like: way_type or something

Did you search for archway or for arcade and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonnade as well? The latter 2 are more
construction specific (I think, I am not English native though). Note
that arcades have "arced" ceiling/construction where colonnades have
ususally flat ones (the term concentrates on the columns where arcade
focuses on the arcs).


More information about the talk mailing list