[OSM-talk] How to tag an archway ?

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:14:57 BST 2009

An arcade usually cuts through a block, rather than running alongside a
road. I'd have said colonnade was about right, though they're not exactly
common in the UK (the two level shops at Chester spring to mind, but they
are probably peculiar to themselves). We do have what can best be described
as concrete awnings, eg in Birmingham, but they are stricly functional,
and probably best described as something like covered=yes.

I'd probably go for footway=colonnade


On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2009/6/13 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > someone on the french list asked how we could tag an "archway" ?
> > Something like this:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Place_des_Vosges_archway.jpg
> >
> > I didn't find anything on the wiki or tagwatch. Maybe it's even
> > questionable to have a special tag since it is either a normal
> > extension of a pedestrian place or a normal sidewalk but under a
> > building.
> > Thanks for you advices.
> IMHO it could be tagged as footway and for the particular construction
> you could use a more specific tag (like: way_type or something
> special).
> Did you search for archway or for arcade and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonnade as well? The latter 2 are more
> construction specific (I think, I am not English native though). Note
> that arcades have "arced" ceiling/construction where colonnades have
> ususally flat ones (the term concentrates on the columns where arcade
> focuses on the arcs).
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> talk at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/attachments/20090615/77d6a4ec/attachment.html>

More information about the talk mailing list