[OSM-talk] How to tag an archway ?

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:35:47 BST 2009

Richard Mann wrote:
> An arcade usually cuts through a block, rather than running alongside
> a road. I'd have said colonnade was about right, though they're not
> exactly common in the UK (the two level shops at Chester spring to
> mind, but they are probably peculiar to themselves). We do have what
> can best be described as concrete awnings, eg in Birmingham, but they
> are stricly functional, and probably best described as something like
> covered=yes.
>
> I'd probably go for footway=colonnade
>
> Richard
Hello,

I don't think colonnade would fit what we need here. The arcades are
always closed on one side and in ancient Greece, the closed side had
shops in it, which is usually not the case with colonnades at all. The
example given is pretty good, and it is relatively common in some parts
of France. Orleans and Tours would be an other example of what this
architecture is all about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_(architecture)
However, the articles on wikipedia are pretty poor. I suspect that
footway=arcade would actually be the best description if I remember
correctly the definition.

Emilie Laffray