[OSM-talk] How to tag an archway ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:55:37 BST 2009

2009/6/15 Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_(architecture)
> However, the articles on wikipedia are pretty poor.

+1 (the English one at least, also the 2 last pictures are not typical
for what architects call an arcade, but they refer to the commercial
habit to describe shopping-centres and passages as arcades, which
might be good advertisement but is not correct in terms of
construction).

> I suspect that
> footway=arcade would actually be the best description if I remember
> correctly the definition.
yes, I agree for the example in the picture, but be careful: if the
way is not covered/formed by arches or vaults (round), it is not an
arcade (e.g. ancient Greek "stoa"). BTW: you can also find lots of
arcades in Bologna, Italy (I guess more than half of the historic
center has footways like this).

cheers,
Martin