[OSM-talk] Removing gps-tracks

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:44:03 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Ed Loach<ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
>> Ahh, yes I can :)
>> But how do I find the one who uploaded the tracks? And what if
>> they
>> don't reply or aren't active any more?
>
> You could perhaps use Potlatch as an editor which only shows (I
> think) a certain number of most recent traces, so the old ones would
> expire at some point. Although if it is an area with not many tracks
> this might not help either.
>
> I personally use my own tracks for editing new stuff and all tracks
> for fine tuning existing stuff. I wouldn't use other peoples tracks
> for adding new stuff unless I'd been there and knew it really
> existed.

It's a good approach.

It's also worth thinking what other parameters might be useful to
expand the GPX API - at the moment we just have a "get everything in
this area" method. Maybe things like
* Get everything tagged with "bicycle"
* Get only things less than six months old
* Let people "suppress" specific bogus GPX tracks
* Get tracks only if they are on your friends list

I'm not saying everything is a good idea, but it's worth thinking
about all the possibilities, and *then* the devs can figure out what's
possible and what might lead to privacy issues.

Cheers,
Andy