[OSM-talk] Lake Cowichan Now loaded (more of sample 092c area)

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 02:53:21 BST 2009

Hi all,
(Sorry if im making too much traffic)

Anyway, because of the IMMENSE volume of data that i'll be loaded, i feel
its important to keep everyone uptodate, so that you all (everyone) has a
chance to speak now, and yell at me about errors. :-)

However, as i learned from tiger data, im sure that more errors will be
found AFTER i already imported 1/2 of Canada :-)

Anyway, Lake Cowican, BC 092c16 is now available.
It was surprising at how fast the area gets rendered (thanks admins :)

With a big thumbs up to Ian Dees, for working so hard on the
shp-to-osm0.41.jar program, to make it easier to use.  Thanks!
The script now can check to make sure each file is less than the 50,000 item
max, and will create a second file to hold the rest.
It can also convert the french accents, so thats awesome (considering its a
federal database, where french is the other official language)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.8221&lon=-124.053&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

You can see alot more detail on this area. The only feature that isnt loaded
is the big polygon of wooded area, (that'll take the bulkUpload.pl script
(that i still need to figure out)  .... thats why im at beta 0.74 (im sure
it's not that hard to learn, i just havent got to it yet.

So I look forward to all your nit pickings.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

Twitter: @Acrosscanada