[OSM-talk] Voting CanVec OSM Map Features: Attributes common to all entities

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 22:19:08 BST 2009

Cool :)
(I cc'd OSGeo & NRCan, so their in the loop too.) Decisions here means a
addition or subtraction of about a Gig or so of data.

So this is why i stopped uploading.  Would have been nice to have heard more
voices from the start, lol..  or maybe i wasn't listening .. lol

I'm looking back at the charts.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Buildings_and_structures

I've added a column for each attribute which is common to all entities.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec_OSM_Map_Features#Attributes_common_to_all_entities

I've gone over each tag row to discuss each. Where we can use the talk page
to discuss further.

I set it up so that people can indicate if they 'approve' or 'dissaprove' of
that particular row, and then id/stamp and the write why they chose that.

Most of the 'pending' could be probably 'disapproved', however, i feel that
we need to answer it more than just 'we dont like it', and the answer of the
persentage of users is also vague.

We need to ask ourselves.  How do we see OpenStreetMap.org basemap look in 5
years from now?  (OSM is still a little kid) ... kinda like Facebook.

Will city planners be using OSM as the main database which lists all the
city boundaries, and all 'official' information? ... Bus Transit planners,
Train Schedual planners, .. etc..
If so, then the extra tags that i included initially are needed, just as we
would expect the city planners to post their reference numbers and lot
numbers to represent how surveyors mark data on a map.   (CanVec would not
have included those tags if they went of value to people).

Do we want the National Power grid to become the defult one that everyone
uses?  When this import is done, we WILL have the national power grid
imported, and available.  But usefull?

Do we want to make the OSM database engineer friendly?  If so, we need to
include all the tags.  .. and ask engeneers.. Is the osm database friendly
to you in your field?

If our goal is to become the defult map, where Google even sees our map as
valuable and uses our database licence and shows OSM as the defult basemap,
as more and more people recognize the value of this map (ie. where Google
can explain to Bus Companies how to merge the data to the OSM system).   ...
then we need to step it up a notch, and allow for more tags and more
possable usages.   (imagine the complete RoadMap) ... Canada will be that by
the end of the year) ... where then looking for more to map.

Ie. a map can get made of all of the data which was acquired at a specific
date.  Or by a specific technique.
Once OSM is able to use the altitude and accuracy information from GPS
Tracks, this information can become more valuable.

In JOSM its possable to be merging and copying item tags, perhaps expand on
that ability?

There isn't a limit of the number of tags.... provided we see it as
'useful'.   So we here need to explain how we define 'useful' for a database
in 5 years from now.

So anyway, look forward to more discussions.  Play nice :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails