[OSM-talk] Canals, drains etc

Tyler tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:41:51 BST 2009

> ...if possible, whatever is used on the ground.

Is the same true for flood relief channels (called both "artificial flood
channel," and "flood control channel") ? Really a seasonal, intermittent
river, in a canal functioning as a drain. And all of the various names flood
control channels go by are actually the same feature.
It seems like using whatever it is called on the ground is going to
cause problems. Were I am we actually distinguish between streams,
creeks
and brooks (as far as physical bodies of water with
objective discernible differences), but best practices appears to be marking
all of those as "waterway=stream" and larger bodies as "waterway=river" in
doing so very little data is lost (especially if we were to tag the features
with mean annual flow) and rendering is appropriate for all three. However a
flood relief channel would be different from a canal (rendered as blue and
mostly like an artificial river). Some are designed to cross various other
paths in our effort to flood waters. In addition, rendering them as blue on
the map is deceptive, more often than not they will be barren concrete
wastes, not full of water.

Just my 2¢ worth,

-Tyler