[OSM-talk] Strange synthentic GPS tracks spelling out words

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Mon Jun 22 03:32:20 BST 2009

We had a super-cool mapping party in Portland, OR this weekend.  But I
noticed some really werid GPS traces.  Somebody has spelled out things
like "ATM" and "SUSHILAND" in the GPS tracks, and they weren't walking
around spelling things. ;)

Take a look around 45.524613, -122.694281.

I'm just curious who uploaded these.  They seem pretty harmless and
kinda funny, but I wonder why someone would go to this trouble.  Or did
someone's GPS automatically translate waypoints into these things?  Any
ideas?

-- Dave