[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Mar 4 18:29:06 GMT 2009

On 04/03/2009 18:06, Gustav Foseid wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com
> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>
>     They used the map to pin the locations - the points did not come from
>     some other map. Therefore it is derived (this is precisely the problem
>     with pinning pictures on a Google or OSM map). So if they put the data
>     in a database (= spreadsheet for example) before printing it, that would
>     be derived, surely.
>

> The coordinates came from a Produced Work (some map image og paper map).
> As I read the license, works (or databases) based on a Produced Work is
> not subject to the conditions of the ODbL.

OK, I agree.

Clause 4.7 (reverse engineering) though prevents people from recreating
the database from a produced work. So if they're just pinning the
locations on the paper map, that's fine. But if they are reading off the
lat/lon from the margins (or from the pixel coordinates on screen) and
recording that, then it would depend entirely on the interpretation of
whether what's been done is a "Substantial part" or not. Presumably not
in this case, but when it becomes Substantial is not well defined and
would probably need a test case. Some guidance to people would probably
be helpful (e.g. for the sake of argument, just quoting grid references
with reference to a map image is not infringing, even in large
quantities, but tracing over the map image is).

David