[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 5 01:32:20 GMT 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 10:29, David Earl wrote:

> On 04/03/2009 18:06, Gustav Foseid wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM, David Earl
>> <david at frankieandshadow.com
>> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    They used the map to pin the locations - the points did not come
>> from
>>    some other map. Therefore it is derived (this is precisely the
>> problem
>>    with pinning pictures on a Google or OSM map). So if they put
>> the data
>>    in a database (= spreadsheet for example) before printing it,
>> that would
>>    be derived, surely.
>>

>> The coordinates came from a Produced Work (some map image og paper
>> map).
>> As I read the license, works (or databases) based on a Produced
>> Work is
>> not subject to the conditions of the ODbL.
>
> OK, I agree.
>
> Clause 4.7 (reverse engineering) though prevents people from
> recreating
> the database from a produced work.

That was something by the way OSMF asked for. I can't remember if it
was Richard 'fake stevec' F, andy or me. But I remember the discussion
vividly when we met Jordan I think the first time.

> So if they're just pinning the
> locations on the paper map, that's fine. But if they are reading off
> the
> lat/lon from the margins (or from the pixel coordinates on screen) and
> recording that, then it would depend entirely on the interpretation of
> whether what's been done is a "Substantial part" or not.

David this is where you need to ask a lawyer. :-) Happily I have -
substantive follows the language of the EUDD... which is totally open
to interpretation as I understand it.

I'll repeat... lets queue up all these questions and get them answered.

I think it would be a beautiful day if it was seen as bad form to use
'IANAL' and everything like that was instead rephrased as 'lets ask a
lawyer and I wont give you my opinion'