[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 5 01:27:57 GMT 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 07:00, Jason Cunningham wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've read through a bundle of licence emails, and there is one
> aspect that worries me, which hopefully someone can clarify.
>
> From my understanding (and I dont speak legalese), under the CCBYSA
> license you can take OSM data, create a "derived work" and
> distribute it. But, you had to let people know you where using OSM
> data, you had make it clear that other people where allowed to use
> your "derived work" to make further derived work and the CCBYSA
> licence must apply to their work. But its turned out this license
> may not be enforcable. A new licence has been proposed that is
> enforcable, but adds a significant new "obligation" to people/groups
> creating derived works.
>
> Looking through advice regarding the new or proposed licence in the
> wiki I have come across the following which I am worried about and
> wish to clarify (which I quote below)
> 1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License_FAQ
> "requires those that combine our data with their own data will have
> to give the latter to OSM. This means we get more open data."
>
> 2. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases
> "Section 4.3 also requires that the notice include information
> regarding where the user can obtain a copy of the Database or
> Derivative Database."
>
> So it appears under the new licence when I create a map using OSM
> and add my own data (derived work), I have to make my data available
> to OSM. This leads on to a couple of questions.

So I've not read the rest of this thread yet, sorry. I am not a
lawyer. But let me respond to the best of my knowledge and please
consult your nearest qualified IP lawyer for better results.

The ODbL follows the language of the EU Database Directive and that
makes a distinction between combined and collated work. I can't
remember if the terms are combined or collated... but essentially
between those you can put together without changing the database, and
those that require .... see look. What's the point. I'm not a lawyer.

I tell you what - are your questions queued up somewhere? An excellent
first step would be to queue up legal questions. Those about the
license directly we can get answered from OSMs perspective and some it
might make more sense to go to the license process with over at OKFN
right?