[OSM-talk] Front page design and SEO

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 5 09:06:08 GMT 2009

Hi,

Tom Hughes wrote:
> I'm not sure delegating to all sort of different servers is the best way
> to implement such a thing for lots of reasons. We just need the master
> stylesheet to be able to take location into account when rendering.

That's how Google does it of course and it is, issues of scale aside,
the easy choice. (And yes their motorway style changes, slightly, at
many borders e.g. between Germany and France or Austria; maybe that's to
denote toll motorways though and not a specifc national style.)

> Aside from anything else if you did it by delegation the style could
> only change on the edge of a tile.

No; if done cleverly, national servers could produce half transparent
tiles at the borders. I know it would be quite a feat to set up
something like this, and every time you view a map of Europe then half
the tiles would be missing because the Czech or Austrian or Hungarian or
German server had a hiccup at that moment and so on. But it would be a
really cool thing to have and help us get away from ugly centralism. We
work and map and meet regionally; why not champion an architecture that
actually takes this into account.

Could make a nice Google SoC project and/or even attract EU funding
under some kind of "unity in diversity" programme.

I'm not suggesting to take away your holy central tile rendering; I'm
sure that will always be needed to be practical. But an extra project on
extra hardware with distributed tiles and nationally or even regionally
decided styles... would be nice.

Bye
Frederik