[OSM-talk] Fwd: It's all too fast...

graham graham at theseamans.net
Thu Mar 5 10:07:09 GMT 2009

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> I really don't want to get into a long discussion about the licence,
> but what I'm really missing is a rationale document, going through
> each paragraph explaining why it says what it says. Because there are
> things in there that I don't understand why they're there.

Me too.

> As an aside, Can we get something into the user accounts that allows
> people to tick a box saying they agree to some kind of licence change.
> ISTM the easiest way to finish the discussion about deleted data is to
> get some actual figures as to how much of a problem it is. If it turns
> out 99.8% of people agree then the question becomes moot.

I don't think this will necessarily help, as it doesn't give you the
reasons people might not agree. In my case, I feel I am being told
'agree to this new license which we haven't fully explained by this
deadline or we will delete your data'. If that really is the case, I
would not agree to the change - not because I think it is a bad license,
which I don't know, but because I don't like the process.

Graham