[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] License to kill

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Mar 6 12:49:58 GMT 2009

On 6 Mar 2009, at 11:07, 80n wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM, graham <graham at theseamans.net> wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
> > I believe the Foundation intends to give a vote *only* to those
> who were
> > members in good standing as of January 23rd so your few days had
> better
> > be 40-ish if you want to have a say in the matter.
>
> How do I find out if I'm a member in good standing? Is it possible to
> check the register of members? I paid for membership - once, quite a
> long time ago - and have never received any subsequent request for
> "subscription and other sum (if any) which shall be due and payable to
> the Association in respect of my membership" - so I guess I've
> probably
> been dropped from the list. Is that the way it works? No reminders,
> and
> silently dropped?  Or do you stay a member as long as you haven't been
> asked for another subscription, terminating at death? That would
> seem to
> be the implication of the 'general' section in the articles of
> association.
>
> Graham
> If you were a member, but for whatever reason, are not fully paid
> up, then we give reasonable latitude to pay the fee and be re-
> instated.  You would not lose your right to vote.
>
> It's not our intention that members should be penalised because we
> or you missed an email or a cheque got lost in the post or something.

Sounds like this should all get tighened up before the next elections
or we might get into 'hanging chad' legal disputes!

I do strongly support the setting up of a members mailing list

I also strongly support the idea that regular contributor (ie have
contributed in three consecutive months) automatically become members
and are then dropped if they fail to contribute for over a year,
something like that anyway. It would suddenly mean that we had 1,000's
of contributors and it would be much harder to dominate the foundation.

I know this has been discussed before and deferred, however that is
not a reason not to review it before the next elections. Particularly
as the whole membership thing seems to be pretty flakey at present.

With all this, lets remember where we have come from and how well we
are doing. There is no blame in regard to where we are, but that is
not a reason not to get to a more professional place rapidly.

Regards,

Peter