[OSM-talk] California bill to limit detail on online mapping tools

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Mar 13 08:23:05 GMT 2009

From today's "Good Morning Silicon Valley" newsletter:

Q  U  O  T  E  D

"I'm not against the technology; it's fantastic. But we're in an evolving world and we have to change our course as it changes. I'm all for online mapping, but knowing where the air ducts are in an air shaft is not necessary for me to navigate in the city. Who wants to know that level of detail? Bad people do. ... The fact is that I would be remiss in my job if I didn't take this seriously. I'm not interested in censoring Google or the others, but now that we know there's a threat, how could we not address this?"

­ California Assemblyman Joel Anderson, sponsor of a bill that would require online mapping services using satellite imagery to blur the details of schools, places of worship, government buildings, and medical facilities to prevent terrorists from using them for planning purposes.

Full story:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10193237-60.html