[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:18:27 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Russ Nelson <russ at cloudmade.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
>> If you can't edit it it shouldn't be in the OSM db. It's easy enough
>> to set up your own map render with any external data you want.
>
> Bzzzr, wrong.  There is substantial value to renderers to only have to
> work off one API for map data.  If the data is in OSM, then
> immediately every map renderer has access to it.  If, say, someone
> finds a new data source but declines to dd it to OSM, then EVERY
> RENDERER needs to add support for that file format and metadata in
> order to use it.

Umm, no. You're wrong on this case, and I speak from running one of
the main OSM renderers. Ted is correct.

> Sorry, Ted, but you're being driven by ideology here, not by good
> programming practise.  Ideology is for ideots.

No he's not, and plenty of other people are in agreement here. It's a
question of the point of having a community in OSM (vs a large
collection of uneditable datasets), and you're arguing about technical
stuff. Technical comes second, community first.

Cheers,
Andy