[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Mon Mar 16 20:27:47 GMT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Andy Deakin wrote:

> Would it be ok to edit the data without moving it? i.e. add extra tags
> to the data.

Well, yes, that's why the DEC Lands data has been imported without an
immutable=yes tag.  Because, for example, we have metadata for
forest=deciduous and forest=coniferous.  You could quite reasonably
draw a line between two nodes (without moving them) because you
noticed that part of the land parcel is distinctly more odiferous oops
I mean coniferous than the rest of the parcel.  This would clearly
meet the surveyor's concern that people running around with GPS
receivers not move his accurately-surveyed lines.

It's all about the metadata, baby.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson