[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Mar 16 23:09:53 GMT 2009

Russ Nelson wrote:
> There's a reason why people create generalized interfaces and
> standard metadata and a common currency and a shared language

We do have all that, of course. It's called, for OSM-historical reasons, the
Rails port. You can get yourself a server (I can probably think of people
who will lend you one); install the Rails port on it; and upload this funky
DEC stuff to it.

People can then access it using exactly the same language/currency/interface
that they're used to with OSM. Hell, if you think having to call two URLs is
too much like hard work, you can augment your data with minutely-updated OSM
dumps, and make everything available from that one place. Given that (AIUI)
you don't think people should edit the DEC data, there won't be any syncing
problems between your server and OSM.

cheers
Richard