[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Tue Mar 17 22:35:12 GMT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Rather than somehow
> setting up a toolchain that draws OSM data from OSM and immutable
> extra
> data from other sources, you'd prefer to dump everything into OSM
> because it is more convenient for you.

More convenient for everyone.  I think your "somehow" speaks volumes.

And anyway, you're arguing against an idea I've already given up on.
The position data is, by OSM principles, uneditable, because you can't
see legal boundaries on the ground.  On the other hand, if you go out
into the field, and you see that the parcel is actually a combination
of pastureland and forestland, then YOU SHOULD EDIT the parcel so it's
split up into pastureland and forestland.

Oh, my god, I can't believe that I just said that you should edit the
data.  The horror!

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson