[OSM-talk] Alternatives to wikipedia?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Mar 19 06:53:45 GMT 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 21:23, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Peter - are you really sure about geograph? AIUI only the photos are
> CC-BY-SA, the geolocation is OS-derived. Please check.

Barry pointed me at this post from 2006 when they nailed the situation
down:
http://blog.dixo.net/2006/10/23/geograph-creative-commons-and-ordnance-survey-revisited/

I suggest that we discourage people from developing tools to
automatically add features to OSM on mass derived from Geograph but
that other than that it seems to be fair game and it is much clearer
than normal in that the OS as sponsors of the project were forced to
either accept the position or withdraw and kill the project so there
was no way for the lawyers to avoid giving a clear answer.

Regards,

Peter