[OSM-talk] Rights of way again

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:31:08 GMT 2009

For non-motorised ways access=private etc. becomes more important in e.g.
England and Wales where the public has no rights other than on public rights
of way (more or less the opposite of the allmannsrätt etc. e.g. in Nordic
countries) and paths on the ground are not always easily distinguished. I
don't often use access=private nut access=permissive is often useful as it
describes the situation on the ground for e.g. a footpath where a landowner
allows people to walk but they have no legal right to do so.

Mike Harris