[OSM-talk] highway=cycle&footway

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Mar 27 15:32:56 GMT 2009

Alex Mauer wrote:
>>Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>>> Map Features says that highway=cycleway should be used for ways that
>>> are mainly/exclusively for bicycles.
>> Map Features is wrong. :)
> So you're saying that highway=cycleway is not intended for ways
> which are for bicycles?

Thanks for putting words into my mouth. Clearly I'm not.

"mainly/exclusively" is the difference. Access permissions cascade down[1].
We grew out of tagging
highway=secondary;motorcar=yes;foot=yes;horse=yes;motorcycle=yes;bicycle=yes;penguin_on_a_skateboard=yes
about three years ago - people were starting to take the piss
(http://mappinghacks.com/2006/09/18/have-a-nice-metadata/).

So why on earth you think that highway=cycleway;foot=yes is still required,
I have no idea. Unless, of course, you do actually go around tagging
highway=secondary;motorcar=yes;foot=yes etc. etc., in which case full marks
for consistency albeit no marks for clue.

But, you know, well done on finally uploading some GPS tracks in the last
few weeks (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Hawke/traces). Maybe actually
doing some mapping will give your opinions some weight, rather than just
being another tedious wikignome. We live in hope.

Richard

[1] with the well-known exception of highway=motorway