[OSM-talk] highway=cycle&footway

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Mar 27 16:41:01 GMT 2009

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Alex Mauer wrote:
>>> Map Features is wrong. :)
>> So you're saying that highway=cycleway is not intended for ways
>> which are for bicycles?
>
> Thanks for putting words into my mouth. Clearly I'm not.

You went too far in your change, "A path on which bicycle access is
permitted."  What makes a way a cycleway, other than being mainly for
bicycles?

> "mainly/exclusively" is the difference. Access permissions cascade down[1].

Down from what, to what?  What's the hierarchy?  As far as I can
interpret this, you mean that "access always defaults to yes *except on
motorways" -- Is this correct?

> So why on earth you think that highway=cycleway;foot=yes is still required,
> I have no idea. Unless, of course, you do actually go around tagging
> highway=secondary;motorcar=yes;foot=yes etc. etc., in which case full marks
> for consistency albeit no marks for clue.

Well, either you're tagging
foot=yes+horse=yes+ski=yes+moped=yes+snowmobile=yes on a large subset of
paths, or you're tagging foot=no+horse=no+ski=no+moped=no+snowmobile=no
on a large subset of paths.  I find that most paths have a list of what
is allowed to use them, so between a bunch of yes values and a bunch of
no values, "yes" makes more sense IMO.

Roads are not the same, they should be "default access yes".  But at
least around here, paths -- including those for bicycles, horse, or foot
-- should be "default no"

> But, you know, well done on finally uploading some GPS tracks in the last
> few weeks (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Hawke/traces). Maybe actually
> doing some mapping will give your opinions some weight, rather than just
> being another tedious wikignome. We live in hope.

For what it's worth, I've had my city essentially complete[1] for about
2 years, and created my own render of the local paths and truck
routes[2].  So I hope that my opinions carry at least some weight, and
I'll thank you not to insult my contributions.

1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/images/b/b3/Hawke_northwestportage.png
2. http://web.hawkesnest.net/osm.html