[OSM-talk] Borders of the federal states of Germany (again)

Torsten Mohr tmohr at s.netic.de
Wed May 6 19:09:43 BST 2009

Hello,

this issue is not related to another post that i did here regarding the
outline of the world (shoreline_300).

I want to create a map of Germany with many details, especially the
federal states should have different background colors.

I got a hint already for a ShapeFile that contains these data.  That file
looked great, but the borderlines defined in there are _much_ more coarse
than the data in the PostGIS, so creating the background from the
rough, coarse data does not look that good.  It does not match the
borders that are drawn.

Is there a way to get the border information from the PostGIS server
that runs locally on my machine?

Things i tried so far:
- Google for it
- Get the data from PostGIS with SQL commands
- Download the single federal states from www.geofabrik.de
  as ShapeFiles and then find out they don't contain the borders.
- Download Germany.shp from www.geofabrik.de
  as ShapeFiles and then find out they don't contain the borders.
- Install QGIS and try to get the data from PostGIS (failed as my
  PostGIS installation does not seem to support GEOS).

With the last topic there could still be a chance to get a result, i still
need to try that.  But it means to re-install PostGIS and add some
steps that i'm not yet sure about (GEOS support).

It would be great if anybody had a hint on this.

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.